Lost Profits Calculations: Methods & Procedures
Part 1 of BVR's Webinar Series on Damages Essentials
Friday, October 8, 2010
12:00am-2:00am PT • 3:00am-5:00am ET
The recording and transcript for this webinar are available to subscribers:
Already a subscriber? Login
In the first installment of BVR's Webinar Series on Damages Essentials, experts Robert Gray and James O'Brien will show the methods and procedures by which lost profits calculations are made. Though built on the same foundations and techniques as most appraisal work, the task of building an unimpeachable lost profits calculation is based upon the rules of the courts in matters of both evidence and technique. The difference between success and failure in this arena can just as easily be the expert's familiarity with these rules and procedures as with the skill of the attorneys.
Through their presentation, Gray and O'Brien will cover everything you need to know when engaging in a lost profits case: from calculations methods and related supporting – and admissible – evidence to the business engagements involved in lost profits work. Never before has there been a better time to familiarize yourself with this challenging, abundant, and potentially lucrative area of valuation.
- Lost Profits defined
- The lost profits dilemma: art v. science
- Conceptual issues in measures of economic damages
- Types and durations of impairment
- Lost profits vs. lost business
- Elements requiring analyses
- Damages calculations
- Lost revenues
- Incremental expenses
- Net profit
- Determining Lost Profits: one v. two model approach
- Other items to consider
- Definitively understand the concept lost profits, particularly with regard to relating ideas like lost business
- Understand how economic damages can impair a business as well as how to define those impairments
- Learn how to identify and analyze the evidence needed to perform a lost profits analysis
- Learn how to perform a lost profits analysis
BVR's Training Packs are an indispensable addition to any valuation reference library. Use them as training tools as many times as you'd like, wherever you are: play them at your computer at work or home, in your car, or on your personal audio device.
Delivered as an electronic download approximately four weeks after the program has aired, each Training Pack includes:
- Recordings and transcripts of the presentation
- All presentation visual aids and handouts
- All ancillary reading materials suggested by our presenters
- Instructions for retrieving the Self-Study exam materials
If you are ordering a Training Pack after the four week window, the download link will be sent to you immediately via email. Please check your spam folder and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your “safe list” to ensure you receive your Training Pack.
See BVR's complete list of available Training Packs from past webinars for more information.
Self-Study CPE credits are available for this program.
Here are the steps to prepare for and receive the program's Self-Study CPE credits:
- Purchase the Training Pack for this program (see the link above).
- Review the course materials and exam instructions provided with the Training Pack.
- Once you're ready, take the online Self-Study CPE Exam for this program.
A minimum of 70% of the exam's questions must be answered correctly to pass, and the exam must be completed within one year of purchasing the Training Pack.
- After you've finished the exam, you will be asked to pay a $100 CPE processing charge.
- Once BVR has your successfully completed exam and processing fee, you will be sent a CPE certificate via email 10-20 business days later.
- Prerequisites: Knowledge of Business Valuation
- Program Level: Advanced
- Preparation Required: None
- Delivery Method: QAS Self-Study
- Recommended CPE: 2.5 Credit Hours (Specialized Knowledge & Applications)
Business Valuation Resources is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of
continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on
the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National
Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
BVR's Satisfaction Guarantee
Business Valuation Resources offers a 100% money-back guarantee on our training services. If you are not completely satisfied with your experience, or have any feedback, please contact Business Valuation Resources at 1-503-479-8200 or email@example.com.