Advanced Workshop on Cost of Capital
BVR's Interactive Web Workshops
Thursday, August 8, 2013
10:00am-2:00pm PT • 1:00pm-5:00pm ET
The recording and transcript for this webinar are available to subscribers:
Already a subscriber? Login
The emergence of recent studies, resources, and scholarship has created something of an evolution to how appraisers understand and implement cost of capital techniques. Despite the age and ubiquity of this valuation tool, new questions are being asked about how best to derive and apply its constituent parts to arrive at a reasonable and defensible conclusion of value. Driving the way are new questions regarding the make-up and application of data resources; the relative validity of CAPM and build-up methods; the relationship of size, liquidity, and other variables; and how to apply these methods in the face of international economic turmoil, fluctuations to previously risk-free benchmarks, and new measures of equity risk.
In the Advanced Workshop on Cost of Capital, BVR welcomes BV hall of famers Kevin Yeanoplos and Ron Seigneur for an in-depth examination of the state of cost of capital determination. Through their intensive, four-hour presentation, Yeanoplos and Seigneur will discuss what every appraiser should know in determining a cost of capital in today’s economy, using all available information, and taking into account current controversies.
- The Good
- CAPM vs. Build-up redux
- Nuances of Duff and Phelps
- Nuances of Morningstar
- The Bad
- The relevance and applicability of the size premium, Mike Crain's research
- Alternatives to the "extraction method" in selecting long-term growth
- International cost of capital
- The Ugly
- The continuing saga of the risk free rate
- Historical ERP vs. supply-side ERP
- Adjusting the COC for pass through benefits, Nancy Fannon's research
- The latest, greatest, best, and worst methods for determining the company specific risk premium
- Learn how and when to apply the CAPM or build-up method
- Learn how to best apply data available for cost of capital determination and how to avoid common errors
- Learn what new research is saying about the relationship between cost of capital components and how to reconcile conflicting scholarship on the subject
- Learn how to apply cost of capital techniques to international subjects
- Learn how today's economy is affecting risk free rates, equity risk premiums, and other factors
- Learn how to apply new research to pass through entities when constructing a cost of capital
- Learn where professional leaders stand on how best to determine company specific risk
BVR's Training Packs are an indispensable addition to any valuation reference library. Use them as training tools as many times as you'd like, wherever you are: play them at your computer at work or home, in your car, or on your personal audio device.
Delivered as an electronic download approximately four weeks after the program has aired, each Training Pack includes:
- Recordings and transcripts of the presentation
- All presentation visual aids and handouts
- All ancillary reading materials suggested by our presenters
If you are ordering a Training Pack after the four week window, the download link will be sent to you immediately via email. Please check your spam folder and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your “safe list” to ensure you receive your Training Pack.
See BVR's complete list of available Training Packs from past webinars for more information.