Patent Infringement Damages: Lost Profits and Royalties
BVR's Special Series on New Economic Damages Guide
Wednesday, June 14, 2023
10:00am-11:40am PT • 1:00pm-2:40pm ET
Register to attend this event:
This event is also available to subscribers:
Already a subscriber or registered online? Login
Purchase the Training Pack ($299.00) to get the recording, transcript, and presentation materials for this webinar in a single download. Please allow up to 30 days after the webinar for the Training Pack to be available.
This webinar is part of BVR’s Special Series on Economic Damages and serves as a complement to the recently published Comprehensive Guide to Economic Damages, 7th Edition
Since 1790, companies and individuals have protected many of their most valuable ideas by obtaining U.S. utility patents. If a direct competitor or other company infringes a company’s or individual’s U.S. patent, the patent owner can sue the accused party or parties for patent infringement in U.S. Federal Court. Patent infringement lawsuits are often complex, contentious and expensive to litigate, and can result in significant damage awards to the patent owner.
If a patent owner can prove another company or party has made, used or sold a product covered by a patent without its permission, the patent owner is entitled, under 35 U.S.C. Section 284, to receive “damages adequate to compensate for the infringement, but in no event less than a reasonable royalty for the use made of the invention by the infringer, together with interest and costs as fixed by the court.”
This program focuses on how expert analysis can help determine damages in patent infringement lawsuits.
- The importance of understanding / defining the Patented Technology at issue
- Lost profits
- The Entire Market Value Rule
- Reasonable royalties
- The hypothetical negotiation
- Understand when lost profits may be applicable, when only reasonable royalty damages may be applicable, or when a combination of lost profits and a reasonable royalty (also known as “market share” damages) may be applicable
- Understand the four Panduit Factors and how to address them in a lost profits analysis
- Understand the fifteen Georgia-Pacific Factors and how to address them in a reasonable royalty analysis
- Understand relevant patent damages case law
Multi-User CPE Policy
Admission to this program includes one CPE certificate for one individual. Any additional listeners requesting CPE must be registered prior to the event, log in on their own connection, and pay a processing fee assessed at the completion of the online CPE survey for this course.
CPE Processing Fees may be bypassed by entering a valid, unused CPE Authorization Code (for single event purchasers) or by logging into BVR's website (for subscribers to BVR's Training Series).
- Prerequisites: Knowledge of Business Valuation
- Program Level: Advanced
- Preparation Required: None
- Delivery Method: Group Internet-Based
- Recommended CPE: 2.0 Credit Hours (Accounting – Technical)
Business Valuation Resources is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of
continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on
the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National
Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
BVR's Training Packs are an indispensable addition to any valuation reference library. Use them as training tools as many times as you'd like, wherever you are: play them at your computer at work or home, in your car, or on your personal audio device.
Delivered as an electronic download approximately four weeks after the program has aired, each Training Pack includes:
- Recordings and transcripts of the presentation
- All presentation visual aids and handouts
- All ancillary reading materials suggested by our presenters
If you are ordering a Training Pack after the four week window, the download link will be sent to you immediately via email. Please check your spam folder and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your “safe list” to ensure you receive your Training Pack.
See BVR's complete list of available Training Packs from past webinars for more information.
BVR's Satisfaction Guarantee
Business Valuation Resources offers a 100% money-back guarantee on our training services. If you are not completely satisfied with your experience, or have any feedback, please contact Business Valuation Resources at 1-503-479-8200 or email@example.com.