James P. Harrington is a Director at Duff & Phelps, A Kroll Company (“D&P/Kroll”). James is a member of the D&P/Kroll Valuation Digital Solutions group, which produces cost of capital thought leadership content and data housed in the Cost of Capital Navigator at dpcostofcapital.com.
- James provides technical support on client engagements involving cost of capital and business valuation matters and is a leading contributor to Duff & Phelps’ efforts in the development of studies, surveys, online content and tools, and firmwide
- Previously, James was director of valuation research in Morningstar's Financial Communications Business where he led the group that produced the Stocks, Bonds, Bills, and Inflation® (SBBI®) Valuation Yearbook, Stocks, Bonds, Bills, and Inflation® (SBBI®) Classic Yearbook, Cost of Capital Yearbook, various international cost of capital reports, and created a website dedicated to cost of capital issues.
- James is co-author of the Duff & Phelps “Valuation Handbook” series with colleagues Carla Nunes and Roger Grabowski. The four Valuation Handbooks were published as physical books starting in 2014; as of 2021 the information and data previously published in the Valuation Handbooks have been transitioned over to the Duff & Phelps Cost of Capital Navigator at dpcostofcapital.com.
- James is co-author of the Stocks, Bonds, Bills, and Inflation® (SBBI®) 2021 Summary Edition with Roger Ibbotson (Professor in the Practice Emeritus of Finance at Yale School of Management). The SBBI® 2021 Summary Edition is produced in a partnership of D&P/Kroll, the CFA Institute Research Foundation, and Morningstar, Inc.
- James is a contributing author to Cost of Capital: Applications and Examples, 5th edition, by Shannon P. Pratt and Roger J.Grabowski (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2014).
- James is a contributing author to the upcoming Shannon Pratt’s Valuing a Business – The Analysis and Appraisal of Closely Held Companies, Sixth ed. (McGraw-Hill, expected publication date 2021).