In "Business Valuation Issues in Bankruptcy" BVR welcomes expert appraisers Jeff Risius and Jesse Ultz for an in depth examination of the opportunities and challenges posed by the bankruptcy process. While distressed and bankrupt businesses have made headlines recently, their reorganization and, at times, resurrection have owed a great deal to appraisers working on such issues as asset/collateral valuation matters, shareholder value disputes within the process, and fairness issues related to the valuation of securities. In their 100-minute presentation Risius and Ultz discuss how to identify these and other valuation opportunities and how the bankruptcy process creates challenges every appraiser should know. Areas covered include: adequate protection, claims determination, plan confirmation, and asset recovery issues. Advanced valuation issues that arise in the valuation of distressed companies will be addressed. The presentation includes illustrative hypothetical examples as well as summaries of relevant court cases.
This program is eligible for self-study CPE credit
Click here for more information on self-study CPE and program eligibility by state.
- Bankruptcy related valuation issues
- Adequate protection
- Claims determination
- Plan confirmation
- Asset recovery issues
- Distressed company valuation issues
- Book value vs. market value
- Business valuation methodologies with respect to distressed companies
- Sensitivity analysis
- Understanding the required rates of return for distressed companies
- Investigation of management's incentives and ability to forecast in past
- Net operating loss carryforward impact on valuation
- Assessing distress in the market indicators
- Examples of relevant court cases
- In re McKilips
- Associates Commercial Corp v. Rash
- In re Bush Industries
- Peltz v. Hatten
- VFB v. Campbell Soup
- Define the processes by which companies file for and resolve bankruptcy claims
- Identify key and common metrics used to assess the ability of bankrupt parties to resolve their books with creditors and custodians
- Associate bankruptcy legislation and laws with valuation techniques that should be implemented when performing analysis relating to a bankruptcy
Prerequisites: Knowledge of Business Valuation
Program Level: Advanced
Preparation Required: None
Delivery Method: QAS Self-Study
Recommended CPE: 2 (Specialized Knowledge & Applications)
Business Valuation Resources, LLC is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
IMPORTANT: Each Training Pack includes an MP4 video file, MP3 audio file, complete transcript, slide presentation in PDF format, and additional reading materials when available. Please note that Training Packs can take up to 4 weeks after the webinar to complete. Once available you will receive an email with a special link to download your Training Pack. If you are ordering a Training Pack after the 4 week window, the download link will be sent to you immediately via email. Please check your spam folder and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your "safe list" to ensure you receive your Training Pack.