Though the Steinbrenners, Cubans, and Jerry Jones of the world may be the most famous owners in sports they and their teams represent but a small component of a large and diverse industry. Considering the operation of teams in major and minor sports leagues often involves a significant intangible franchise asset component, as well as minority ownership interests, no two valuations of sports franchises are the same.
In "Valuing Sports Franchises," the latest installment of BVR’s Industry Spotlight Series, expert Drew Dorweiler explains the operational characteristics of sports franchises and their ramifications on the valuation process.
This program is eligible for self-study CPE credit
Click here for more information on self-study CPE and program eligibility by state.
- Purposes of sports franchise valuation
- Ways in which sports franchises illustrate different standards of value
- Value drivers in sports franchises
- Valuation approaches with sports franchises
- Impact of professional sports leagues on value of member franchises
- Operational characteristics and nuances
- Sports franchise intangibles
- Further considerations:
- Tax treatment
- Franchise agreements
- Player contracts
- Identify preferred valuation methodologies and techniques as they relate to valuing sports franchises
- Define common and key value drivers for sports franchises
- Associate factual and accurate concepts of sports franchise value as opposed to fictional, misleading ideas
- Identify worthwhile comparables for valuing sports franchises
Prerequisites: Knowledge of Business Valuation
Program Level: Advanced
Preparation Required: None
Delivery Method: QAS Self-Study
Recommended CPE: 2 (Specialized Knowledge & Applications)
Business Valuation Resources, LLC is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
IMPORTANT: Each Training Pack includes an MP4 video file, MP3 audio file, complete transcript, slide presentation in PDF format, and additional reading materials when available. Please note that Training Packs can take up to 4 weeks after the webinar to complete. Once available you will receive an email with a special link to download your Training Pack. If you are ordering a Training Pack after the 4 week window, the download link will be sent to you immediately via email. Please check your spam folder and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your "safe list" to ensure you receive your Training Pack.