Side Effect of COVID-19: Beta Changes Impacting Business Valuations
BVR's Webinar Series
Thursday, December 10, 2020
10:00am-11:40am PT • 1:00pm-2:40pm ET
The recording and transcript for this webinar are available to subscribers:
Already a subscriber? Login
Our presentation is designed to meet three objectives:
- Raise awareness of the impact that COVID-19 is having on data that is commonly used to assess risk when performing valuations.
- Build knowledge base of participants to enable them to better address this impact when providing valuation opinions in the current environment.
- Foster an environment of candid discussion of why valuation professionals may need to do more than just “business as usual” in the current context.
We will examine in detail the impact that COVID-19 Pandemic is having on three commonly used measures of risk in company valuation: volatility, market risk premium, and Beta.
First, we will demonstrate to participants the impact that COVID-19 is having on the data used to assess volatility. We discuss the behavior of volatility over both the Financial Crisis and the COVID-19 Pandemic and comment on the relation between the Federal Reserve’s response to both crises and market volatility. Volatility is commonly used in 409-A and ASC-820 valuations of private venture backed companies using option-based valuation methods.
Second, we extend this discussion of volatility by considering the behavior of the market risk premium and Beta. We explore the behavior of the market risk premium over both the Financial Crisis and the COVID-19 Pandemic. We will also discuss how company Betas appear to be changing and describe factors that participants may need to consider when making decisions about whether to incorporate this changed Beta into their valuation. The market risk premium and Beta are the most commonly used measures of risk in company valuation.
- Describe how today’s COVID-19 market volatility can impact the reliability of their business valuation
- List how COVID-19 impacts commonly used methods to estimate Beta
- Describe how changes in Beta caused by COVID-19 impact business valuations
- Demonstrate how commonly used methods can be used to examine whether they should incorporate a change in Beta caused by COVID-10 into their business valuation
- Describe how to support the reliability of their analysis of Beta and business valuation during the pandemic
BVR's Training Packs are an indispensable addition to any valuation reference library. Use them as training tools as many times as you'd like, wherever you are: play them at your computer at work or home, in your car, or on your personal audio device.
Delivered as an electronic download approximately four weeks after the program has aired, each Training Pack includes:
- Recordings and transcripts of the presentation
- All presentation visual aids and handouts
- All ancillary reading materials suggested by our presenters
If you are ordering a Training Pack after the four week window, the download link will be sent to you immediately via email. Please check your spam folder and add email@example.com to your “safe list” to ensure you receive your Training Pack.
See BVR's complete list of available Training Packs from past webinars for more information.
BVR's Satisfaction Guarantee
Business Valuation Resources offers a 100% money-back guarantee on our training services. If you are not completely satisfied with your experience, or have any feedback, please contact Business Valuation Resources at 1-503-479-8200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.